- Expose-it, now officially launched, puts up some more guides: Critique, Write Better, and Competitions.
- February Form Fiesta (FFF) 2012
- Beccalicious and wreckling need more DD suggestions!
- A welcome from the new group, Lit-Visual-Alliance.
- My-Soul-Bleeds-Ink's Forms Challenge Final Poll:- Which will become the champion?
- Critique-It updates their About page, How to Keep in Touch with Critique-It, Affiliation page and their Guidelines.
- One month left to enter MeganLawler94's Fan Fiction Contest.
- BleedingHeartsPoetry's blackout has been lifted.
- Poem of the Week - #17
- The Letters To Myself 2011/2012 WINNERS have been announced.
- Lit of the Week Nominations for EliteLiterature
- Lit-WIP updates about their contest and asks "how many members are interested?"
- Thursday, 2 February, 9 PM GMT is lacoterie's next chat event.
- WritersInk asks "Which continent are you based in? We're planning some new features and need a rough idea of where our members are located."
- LITplease's poll: "There are roughly 17 days before the 13th Poetry Prompt, Enter the Dragon ends. Are you ready with your entries to win a featured seat and 250 dA points?"
- Some updates and other things from NaNoWriMo-MLP
- A not so subtle contest reminder from knownames.
- WotM February Reminder from SPOTLIGHTWRITERS
- Transliterations: Modernising Myths contest ends February 5th
- Complaint Overkill
- ThePoetryofDA asks members to stop submitting prose as it is a poetry group.
- The group, JustKeepWriting, reminds members there is a little over two weeks to get contest entries in.
- A short delay from LiteratureforPoints
- Spotlight on Lit, vol 1.1
- Nichrysalis asks "If I posted a quote from literary passages or from famous people for you to give your thoughts on, would you?"
- Love-Literature is holding their book club chat on the 31st at 1pm GMT
- New Literature Group: vicious-verse
- SilverInkblot has begun her Mini Challenge: Current Passage.
- Inspiring-Words reminds members the first prompt ends in less than a week.
- Lit of the Week 11! williamszm, XezleX and avallynh!, EliteLiterature's poll.
- Weekly Feature details and updates from Live-Write-Now
- NonfictionNook's contest has been extended
- knownames asks "What came first, Lit or Images?"
- An introduction with a few questions from Mythologue
- NonfictionNook's poll: "We would like to invite some people to submit to our galleries. Suggest someone in the comments!"
- Submission updates and reminders from LITplease
- Critique-It is Opening February 1, 2012!
- Calling-All-Poetry' announces that their next contest will be in March.
- Expose-Lit: Your Literature Lifeline
- SPOTLIGHTWRITERS announces the winners of the Mysterious Box Contest.
- Announcements and other updates from EliteLiterature
- A hello and small update as well as an introduction with a few questions from Mythologue.
- SPOTLIGHTWRITERS' WotM for Feburary has been announced.
- Live-Write-Now issues a reminder concerning their weekly feature.
- You Be The Judge Critiques [Ends the 31st]
- Weekly updates and discussion about a possible contest from Lit-WIP.
- kiwi-damnation asks "Are you ready for the Fiesta?
- Live-Love-Write is saving up for super group status.
- Chat Tour Schedule
- Surveys and winners from Love-Literature
- Some exciting news and updates from Written-Imagination
- TFP Features #105, #106 and #107
- The group, RomanceforEveryone is doing a bit of gallery cleaning.
- RawEm0tion's poll: "Decide the theme for the week of February 20th!" and updates their Poetry/Prose RPG: Lvl Up!
- Write-Original puts out a call to members
- #SixWordStories Showcase: January 9 - January 23
- Emmy, Euxy, Bee, Panda, and Squeeze a feature by GrimFace242
- #CRLiterature Wrap Up - Chat Tour
- poetry-book's Contributor Positions are filled.
- Ten Bits of Advice Writers Should Stop Giving Aspiring Writers Forum Discussion
- "What should we use our Favorites section for?" asks EliteLiterature
- An update about ABNA from LiteraryAbandon.
- WritersInk's Weekly Round Up
- LITplease's poll: "LitPlease will feature a deviant per category in winning the month's poetry and prose prompts AND will also be giving a prize to the featured deviant. Are you up for the prompts?"
- An update from Written-Imagination about their critique folder.
- TheWritingHaven posts about an oppurtunity for cover art offered by a fellow member.
- Project Educate: Critique Week: Do You Really Want Critique?; Finding Critique on dA; The Basics of Giving Critique; #Gimmefeedback interview; The Community and Critique! , Critique Week Roundup!, and PE: Literature Critique Tips
- Halatia has done a wonderful job looking over the Lit gallery, be sure to send her hugs and thanks. ♥
Literature Links [in other languages!]
- LiteraturaBR has a a new gallery folder and encourages members to submit their one best piece to it/ and reminds members there is less than 8 days to enter their monthly theme. [Portuguese]
- The winners of ArteScritta's contest are announced. [Italian]
- MiniSagas announces the winner of their contest. [Spanish]
I am still looking for non-English literature groups, I'd like to keep tabs on them too!
Expose-Lit a brand new group focusing on helping writers[new and old!] find their place in the Literature Community and get involved. They've officially launched this past week and all ready have a great set of resources ot help you find your way about the 'lit labyrinth'. Learn more about this group by clicking here!
CrumpetsHarvey gladly let me ask her some questions again, about her new group Expose-Lit.
How is Expose-Lit different from the other literature groups on dA?
Expose-Lit goes out into the shadiest corners of the writerly jungle, and drags in the wildest and shyest of beasts (erm... writers) from the dark. We’re not just interested in the deviants everyone knows, or the best writers, or people like us. We want everyone, whoever they are, whatever they write, to realise if they want more recognition for their writing they can get it, just by getting involved.
We want to help people participate in their own style, so we’re posting short guides and quick recommendations to the most exciting things going on in lit. We’ll also tell you what’s in it for you.
We are not another themed group, or prompt group, or workshopping group, or group collecting a list of other groups, because there are plenty of those already (though we’ll tell you where the best ones are!) We are here solely to get more writers involved in the literature community.
Expose-Lit began as a response to thorns' Complaint Challenge. What made you chose this particular issue to challenge?
We actually set out to address two “issues”:
1) that there is an "elite"/"in-crowd" which gets all the exposure and is impossible to penetrate and
2) people should stop complaining they are under-exposed and participate more
These are just two sides of the same coin. After many years’ cowering in fear, I eventually realised that “penetrating” the “in-crowd” was simply a matter of talking to them. But I also think people very involved in the lit community don’t necessarily see how overwhelming it looks from the outside. How does one person juggle all those groups, projects and competitions as well and writing stuff? (Most don’t .)
I think dA lit is brilliant: it’s a great resource for writers to develop and it’s full of wonderful people. I don’t want others to sit around thinking they can’t be part of it
So the short answer is I’m an idealist.
In your opinion, what do you think is the hardest thing about getting involved in the literature community?
Choosing what to do. There is so much amazing stuff and so little time!
I think overcoming the fear you’ll make a tit of yourself is a big issue. Pretty much every forum, chat room and group comes with its own set of guidelines about how to behave, and not every “rule” gets written down. But if you make a mistake, all it takes is an apology and it will be forgotten almost straight away. Everyone has looked an idiot at one point or another. Anyway, we’ve got some advice on that too.
Anything else of note that you would like to share?
Anyone can join. If you think Expose-Lit could help you, it probably can. We’re not scary!
Anyone can help. You can find new and neglected writers and point them our way. You can promote this project in your journal. You can donate points so we can become a supergroup. If you’re really keen you can even volunteer to help keep our guides up to date.
If you think we’re missing something, let us know! If you have a question, ask! If you have an idea, tell us! If you want our project to join up with your project, send a note!
- Hosting A Workshop
- Previous Workshops
- Some of their articles: Community Volunteers, Groups, Forums, Chat, Daily Deviations, Community Resources, and Community Projects
Looking for more groups?
leoraigarath's Literature Groups List
Realm-of-Fantasy's list of literature groups[Fantasy, Sci-fi and General]
My journal[recently re-vamped!] has a small list that I've compiled.
If you're still not finding a group you like check out the list of all literature groups on dA: Click here!
Inspiration (Workshops, Prompts and Challenges)
- lacoterie's Weekly Poetry and Prose Prompts
- Live-Love-Write's Weekly Writing Prompt: "You'll Be Waiting"
- "One Week To Live", the current weekly theme for RawEm0tion
- Live-Write-Now's Weekly Theme.
- Unseen-Writers' Theme of the Week: Good and Evil
- Wordsmiths-Guild's various prompts.
- House-of-Playwrights's fourth January weekly prompt is a Theme/Quote Duo.
- Prompt Eight of lit-lash's weekly prompts has begun.
- "Why do you think people find it necessary to lie to one another?" is Escape-Of-A-Writer's current prompt.
- Beginnings is FightToWrite's theme of the week.
- Pyromania is Raininginhawaiipoems' current prompt.
- Inspiring-Words' Bi-Weekly Prompts - 36
- Scribblers-Anonymous's prompts: Set 32!
- Bi-Weekly Prompts from theWrittenRevolution.
- "3:00 AM", TheWritersMeow's newest prompt.
- "Chilled to the Bone", the bi-weekly prompt from Poets-N-Prose.
- "Darkside", We-Write-To-Escape's fortnightly theme.
- Blackened Heart, Whithered Soul is Love-4-Dark-Poetry's bi-weekly prompt.
- Use the Imperative, Love-Literature's bi-weekly prompt.
- theWrittenRevolution's prompts.
- "Instincts are misleading", FeatheredWords' bi-weekly prompt.
- dA-lta's current prompt.
- 'Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.' is Written-Imagination's prompt.
- SixWordStories' Word and Theme Prompts
- HammeredPoetry's Prompt #6: 60 Extraordinary Words
- ScreamPrompt #22, January 2012
- The January Monthly Theme of WriterSecretSanta has begun.
- "Personal Ads" Lit-WIP's January prompt.
- ThePoetryofDA's January Prompt
- Horror-Stories' January Monthly Theme.
- Prompt #10:The chill in my bones. The-Writing-Exchange's monthly prompt.
- Unseen-Writers' Monthly Challenge: January
Workshops and Challenges:
- Double Post Challenge
- Killing A Character Workshop from Writers-Workshop [February 13th]
- Description Challenge
- A FreeWriters Marathon
- Poets-N-Prose's Workshop / Challenge: Points of View : Jan 2012
- Literature Lesson 1.03
- FFF 2: indriso challenge [February 1st]
- Memnalar issues a Critique Challenge.
- Vignettophiles' Comment Swap VII[Every 1st and 15th of the month.]
- You...In Six Words
- "A fresh start" is theWritersFoundation's prompt.
- 15-Minutes-of-Fame has begun a new project; Project Frankenstein.
- Flash Fiction Lives: Creation 2: Was it just a dream?[February]
- MadWords' writing prompt.
- LITplease's Poetry and Fiction Prompts
- Winter Prompts from write-to-live
- writingclub's Story Chain
Ongoing Challenges[No Deadline]:
- Write 50 Reason's Why You Love Yourself Challenge
- 100 Word Challenge hosted by JustKeepWriting
- full-moon-poetry's 18 themes.
- LITplease's 100 Themes Challenge
- Project Nine Lives
Lit Contests Galore!
These include contests that are purely Literature based and those that have other categories as well, but still accept Literature.
- #Apocalypse-writing's Competition (February 19th)
- Split Prompt Contest (February 14th)
- Valentines Day Contest (February 10th)
- Freedom of Speech (March 15th)
- What is the myth you are living? [Poetry only; please see link for details] (January 31st)
- TYP Contest [Please see link for details; contest ends and begin son same day] (February 4th)
Contests Ending This Week:
- 'Parental Love' (January 30th)
- Fuyu Saijiki [Eastern poetry forms only; please see link for details] (January 31st)
- My Image - Your Story [Prose only; please see link for details] (January 31st)
- Modernized Mythology (January 31st)
- If I Were An Outlaw (January 31st)
- Mini Contest~ Exposure for New Writers [Prose 1,000 word maximum; poetry 30 lines maximum; please see link for details] (January 31st)
- What is the myth you are living? [Poetry only; please see link for details] (January 31st)
- Original Writing Contest [Prose only; 1,500 word minimum; 3,000 word maximum; please see link for details] (February 1st)
- DeviantART Role Models (February 1st)
- #theWrittenRevolution's Anniversary Contest [Please see link for details] (February 4th)
There is also a group dedicated to Literature contests around dA, DALiteratureContests, if you're still looking for more contests!
Regular Lit Articles
- The The Ladies of Lit: Volume XVII
- Darkest Corners LIT 15 - Horror Literature
- Writers With a Promise - Issue 12
- Friday Night Features XXXII
- Deviant Dossier: IrrevocableFate
- PoetryToTheMasses Weekly Feature 48
- Saturday Spotlight for January 21st, 2012
- DLD to DD January 27th, 2012
- Novel Tease Newsletter - Issue 5
- Wonderful critics, wonderful writers 5
- Lit Up! Vol. III
- The Acrostics Series: BornBlitzed
- LadyLincoln's Journal
- lovetodeviate's Resource Central [Now moved to apocathary’s journal]
- julietcaesar's List of Useful Writing Blogs
- mode-de-vie's Community Update Journal
- #SixWordStories Community Happenings
- WorldWar-Tori's Literature Resources
- #Critique-It's Resources: Writing
- #Mythologue's Literary Resources
- #FantasyLiterature's Helpful Links
Writing Resources [General]
- Writing Resources for Everyone
- Guides and Lessons for Effective Writing
- LaMonaca's Writing Guides
- LitResources' folder for Literature Tutorials
- How to Write Euphonically
- OokamiKasumi's Writing Tips and Tricks
- ElaineRose's Writing Lessons
- Ten Tips for Writing
- 10 Tips for Novel Writers
- Style vs. Voice - A Guide
- Grammar and Your Story
- Three Act Structure
- The Hard Work of Poetry
- Tips For Editing Poetry
- Haiku Theory Part 1
- Poetic Forms
- Poetry Self-Edit Quick Start Guide and Checklist
- "Poeticks: On Imagery" 1 of 3, "Poeticks: On Imagery" 2 of 3, and "Poeticks: On Imagery" 2 of 3
Critiquing and Miscellaneous Resources
- Search Engines for Serious Writers
- The NonVerbal Thesaurus
- How to Write Without Editing
- Critiquing Fiction
- Prose Critique Basics
- Beta Reading Tutorial
- A Verbose Guide to Critiquing
- Murdering Mary Sue
- Characterization and Names
- Character Development: From Beginning to End
- Rehab for Roleplayers
- SadisticIceCream's Publishing Resources List
- leoraigarath's Resources on the Side
- Resources for Aspiring Authors
- On-Writing - Getting Published
- Getting Published the Hard Way
- Tips on Self Publishing
- Writing Exercise-Book Proposal
- How to Get a Literary Agent
- apocathary has created a customised calendar for submissions to Australian journals and competitions. [It can still be useful for others as some listed accept international submissions too.]
- Divertir Publishing is an independent publisher and they also publish short story collections. Check out their dA: DivertirPublishing
- An Idiot's Guide to Publishing
- Harmless [Magazine]
- Steampunk Tales
- G.W. Review
- The Missing Slate
- Second Look
- Verandah Literary Journal
- Machine of Death
- Cram Magazine
- dotdotdash Magazine
- Alliterati Magazine
Looking to help out the Lit Community?
- Morbid-Poets is looking for a co-founder.
- Updated: critiquers are needed at FantasyAuthorsGuild.
- Inspiring-Words is in need of a gallery moderator.
- write-to-live is recruiting contributers to help with submissions and contests.
- Scribblers-Anonymous is looking for an affiliates and critics admin.
- LaRevolucionEscrita needs a couple of admins.
- Moderators are needed at Love-Literature.
- dA-Literature is looking for one admin.
- Adopt-A-Writer is looking for some help.
- Gallery Admin, Talent Scout, Blog Artisan, Affialiate Relations, General Enquiries, Contest, and News Article Feature Managers are writingclub's open positions.
- 2 Afilliates/PR Admins, 2 Pay It Forward Admins, and 4 Critics are open at lacoterie.
- Poets-N-Prose is looking for Contributors, Specialists, and dA members to host Guest (Non-staff) Workshops.
- 1 Prose Administrators is needed at DailyLitDeviations.
- 6 Contributors are the avaliable positions at TheScribblists
- LiteratureforPoints is in need of a chat moderator and contributors.
- Members to host workshops and Contributors are needed at Writers-Workshop
- Critics, admins, and people "interested in helping run and set up events and projects" are needed at devLIT.
- Moderator and Contributor positions are open at TheControversy.
- Poetry-Screams wants some administrators.
- 1 Prompt Admin, 1 Community Liason, 2 TFP Appraises and 3 Critics are needed over at LITplease.
- Deviant-Mentor needs Literature Mentors!
- SuperWritersHelp is in need of critics.
- Literature Moderator positions available over at Realm-of-Fantasy.
- 8 Critiquers, 3 Lit-Pickers, and 1 Affiliate Admin are needed at LitResources.
- 35-prompts-challenge is still in need of a founder.
- A critic and an inspirationalist are needed at Wordsmiths-Guild.
- Beta-readers are needed at Beta-Readers!
- Two Contributors are wanted at Written-Love.
- The group, Lit-Community's current founder is stepping down and is looking for someone to fill the position.
- Mythologue is in need of 5 Language moderators[French, Italian, Spanish, German, and English] and critic admins.
- Open Positions over at SixWordStories, they need: Project Managers and Contest Managers.
- YouAsTheNarrator is looking to fill the following positions: 2 Gallery Moderators, 1 Character Bio Moderator, 4 Chatroom Moderators, 4 Promotion Moderators, 2 Gallery Contributors, and Comment Contributors.
- Various staff is needed to help with Gallery Moderation, Literature interviews, Prompt suggestions and postings, Polls, and Blog posts. over at Literary-Visions.
- Some greeters are needed for the group, RawEm0tion.
Literature Community Relations
wreckling - lightningmonkey's DD Suggestion Guidelines
Beccalicious - Beccalicious' DD Suggestion Guidelines
Go on and send your literature DD suggestions to them!
#CRLiterature Community Relations Literature Chatroom
Literature CR Update - December 2011
December's Literature Daily Deviations
Posting Guidelines - Literature Forum
Monthly Literature Critique Thread: January
FAQ #61: What is a Daily Deviation?
FAQ #18: Who selects the Daily Deviation and how is it chosen?
FAQ #873: What do I do when I disapprove of a Daily Deviation feature?
Want your group to be spotlighted? Your Literature project? See something you don't like? That you like? Want changed or removed? Have a suggestion for the next issue? Then please send me a note! The Literature Community is huge, so I'm always going to miss something or make a mistake, don't be afraid to let me know. ♥
Hugs, love and thanks to:
for letting me help run LITplease's Community Portal and spamming her inbox with countless notes, all while being wonderful.
a LITplease Community Liason and will be helping me with gathering information while being fabulous.
another LITplease Community Liason who will be helping gather even more information and continuing to be awesome.