I recently posted a poll and I have to say I love you all because not one person chose "write more articles" [yet anyways]. I guess Love dA Lit keeps you busy enough! ;D
Literature Links | Group Spotlight | Workshops, Prompts and Challenges
Literature Contests | Resources | Open Admin Positions
Literature Community Relations | Contacting Me
- "We've got a PE week at projecteducate coming up on Poetry Basics! What topics would you like to see covered?"
- NaNo is Around the Corner
- Forum Discussion: The "character reference sheet"
- "What IMPROVEMENTS on existing features do you think could be done to enhance the experience when viewing a literature deviation? What nonexistent FEATURES would you like to have?" Nichrysalis wants to know.
- Let's Talk Writing: List of Interviewees
- DorianHarper asks "How important are Literature DDs to you?"
- Ways to Get Involved -- Suggesting DLDs and DDs
- Forum Discussion: Avoiding the circlejerkery, part 2
- CRLiterature's poll: "Will you be participating in NaNoWriMo this year?
- Round 2, THE EPIC AUTHOR OFF
- Type vs Typo - The Rocket Man Mash-up
- PE: Songwriting: The Basics, PE: Critiquing Poetry, and PE: Essentials of Writing a Critique
- 5 things + 10 more + 20 raspil is just that good.
- Looking for Lit Chat Events. Anybody got any?
- WritersInk's Weekly Round-up
- TarienCole asks "Have You Used Editing Software?"
- PoeticNation reveals their Contest Winners
- An update from Horror-Stories
- EliteLiterature's Lit of the Week 92! Sammur-amat, lizilicious and saartha
- A Group Feature from NaNoWriM0.
- NaNoWriMo? NaNoWriMo! is PowerfulWriting's latest journal.
- Writers--club's Member of the Month ~ October 2013
- An update and lots of news from Short-Stories.
- theWrittenRevolution's Friends of the Revolution, October
- Member News and Events from Superhero-Lit.
- An update on LiteraryMovement's event and Updates & Changes
- Writers-Extrodinaire's 50 Word Flash (Winners August 23rd) and 50 Word Flash (Winners September 6th) have been announced.
- PoeticalCondition announces their GGG Winners and Member DD + DLD Feature: 28th Sep ~ 11th Oct
- Resources from YWP-NaNoWriMo
- Writing-Commissions posts a A Beginner's Guide :: Literary Commissions
- A Letter of Support from Amy Keating Rogers, NaNoWriMo-MLP shares.
- The-Creative-Writer is looking for prize donations.
- You'll never get bored if you're keeping an eye on Persistent-Practice Motivation Monday 18, Twosome Tuesday 18, WHY AM I DOING THIS Wednesday 18, Thoughtful Thursday 18, Famous Advice Friday 18, Spotlight Saturday 18.
- An apology is in order from Apocalypse-writing along with a Feature, Welcome to new members, and other things.
Back to Top
Persistent-Practice is a kick in the shoulder and a pat on the...wait no. It's not, but this group is here to help motivate you if by only sheer persistence. With daily blog entries to help keep you writing and practicing there is no shortage of inspiration to rouse you. this group is still young, at 4 months, but I have lots of respect for any group that posts something exciting and fresh every day! Click here to learn a little more about this group's admins.
The lovely SkysongMA managed to be quper quick in answering all the questions I sent her, even with a little hiccup from dA where it ate her original message!
Can you explain a bit about your group, Persistent-Practice, and what makes it different from other literature groups on dA?
I actually created Persistent-Practice because I wanted to fill a need I wasn't getting from other groups on DA. Other groups are great places to promote your work, meet other writers, and participate in contests, but they all sort of require you to have finished work.
This is not really their fault, because most creative writing communities are like this. They're about working with finished pieces. But getting to the finished piece--especially if it's a long work, like a novel--is really difficult. Writing is a lot of work, and it's mostly work you have to do yourself, under your own willpower, on your own timeline.
And it gets tiring. You start wondering how long it's gonna take you to finish anything and that your project sucks and if you should even bother continuing--
(The answer is yes, btw.)
I made Persistent-Practice for that feeling. For the days when you need a reason to get typing or scrawling again. And for the days when you can't get back to typing or scrawling. Even when you're not feeling it for whatever reason, Persistent-Practice will be there with something.
Every day of the week the group posts a blog with a specific aim. [ie. Motivation Monday, Twosome Tuesday, etc.] Would you mind explaining a bit about each?
Motivation Monday is about starting the week off right. Mondays are hard. It's so easy to remember all the real-life stuff you have to do and even easier to prioritize those real-life things over writing. To help avoid that, I ask questions designed to get you excited about your writing. What's your best idea? What does your dream book cover look like?
Twosome Tuesday features a pair of inspirational artifacts, usually quotes but sometimes videos or comics. Just another set of reasons to get back in the saddle.
WHY AM I DOING THIS Wednesday allows you to vent about your writing experience. I post a journal, you tell me your woes. What's holding you back? What's got you down?
Thoughtful Thursday is like Motivation Monday, but deeper. I pose a question about a more complex topic, like the differences between genres or your editing process.
Famous Advice Friday works with advice from writing books. Right now, we are going through Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird, which is the most soothing book ever written.
Spotlight Saturday is a bit more relaxed. I share updates about projects I'm working on for the group, and then I feature fun writing-related things I've found around the internet. In response, members share anything they've written, as well as anything neat they've found.
Showcase Sunday is all about the group members. I feature particularly insightful comments and whatever things members shared on Saturday.
What kind of future projects and events can we expect from Persistent-Practice?
Like I said, I was looking for a support group. Somewhere writers could find encouragement while they work on their projects, whatever those might be.
I also wanted to foster a supportive community, where writers can voice their opinions without fear of judgment and gain exposure to other perspectives. One thing I never liked about creative writing classes or most writing books is that there's never any room for argument--the person teaching the class or writing the book is always completely right, and their way to do things is the only way to do things. And that's crap. Writing is far too personal to be a one-size-fits-all approach. I want to highlight and embrace that diversity.
Anything else of note that you would like to share?
I love getting to know people!
- General Group Information
- Motivation Monday 17
- Twosome Tuesday 17
- WHY AM I DOING THIS WEDNESDAY 17
- Thoughtful Thursday 17
- Famous Advice Friday 17
- Spotlight Saturday 17
- Showcase Sunday 17
Looking for more groups?
- leoraigarath's Literature Groups List
- FanaticalPublishing lists a wide variety of literature groups.
- Realm-of-Fantasy's list of literature groups[Fantasy, Sci-fi and General]
- My journal has a small list that I've compiled.
- League of Lit Groups: Vol. 6
If you're still not finding a group you like check out the list of all literature groups on dA: Click here!
Back to Top
Inspiration (Workshops, Prompts and Challenges)
- House-of-Playwrights's Weekly-ish Prompt [October 19th]
- Apocalypse-writing's Prompt: Two Sentence Story [October 19th]
- "For reasons unknown" from Live-Love-Write. [October 20th]
- Theme of the Week: Zombie from Unseen-Writers
- PoetryWithAVoice has a new weekly prompt.
- Glory-Be-Project's Mid-Week Inspirations: Installment 4
- Weekly Spontaneity: 79 from SixWordStories
- "Somewhere else" is Writers-Extrodinaire's newest prompt.
- Writing Challenge 001 - Week 003 from LitGuildUK
- Want a Flash Fiction Prompt? TheWritingHaven has one.
- Versicolor Project [October 14th]
- theWrittenRevolution's bi-weekly prompt for October 7th [October 21st]
- #SixWordStories' Bi-Weekly Prompt [October 23rd]
- Prompt #3 and #4 from OurProse.
- Monthly Challenges from LitGuildUK [October 13th]
- A-challenge-to-write's October Challenge is "Space" [October 25th]
- Letters to the end of a Season [October 30th]
- formfindsfunction's latest prompt: FFF 12: form creation challenge [October 31st]
- October is for HorrorKu at Multhaiku
- lacoterie's October Prompts
- skinnywords has their monthly prompt 6 posted.
- WritersOfTheWorld's September Activity: Dialogue
- DALiteratureContests's Prompt List was Last Updated: September 2013 23:45 EDT [Various Group's Prompts Listed]
- prompt 07 Oct 2013 from FlashFictionLives
- OfSweetSerendipity's Prompts #8
- LiteraryMovement's Activity Comments For Comments
- A quote, "Art is a lie that tells the truth", is Ecrit-de-la-poesie's prompt.
- Write a paradelle. Just do it. Do it now.
- Writing-Commissions's Writing Challenge #3
- Literature Critique Challenge
- musical inspiration from theScienceofPoetry
- How Far I've Come: Writing Challenge!
Ongoing Challenges [No Deadline]:
- Writing prompts from dA-Literature
- A 50 Theme Challenge from Authors-Academy
- A List of Prompts from FeatheredWords.
- full-moon-poetry's 18 themes.
- 100 Poem Topics from Wordsmiths-Guild
- LITplease's 100 Themes Challenge
- Write 50 Reason's Why You Love Yourself Challenge
Back to Top
Lit Contests Galore!
These include contests that are purely Literature based and those that have other categories as well, but still accept Literature.
- Anagram Contest [3,000 word maximum] (October 25th)
- #PVSTW - Songtober (October 27th)
- "Time To Die" (October 31st)
- Tell Me a Scary Story [40 line limit for Poetry; 600 word maximum for Prose] (October 31st)
- Halloween Contest [1,200 word maximum for Poetry and Prose] (October 31st)
- Opposite Contest (November 7th)
Contests Ending This Week:
- 100 member Contest (October 13th)
- Suicide Prevention Contest [Please see link for details] (October 14th)
- tubefed's Contest (October 15th)
- Anthro Antics Literature Contest [3,000 word maximum for Prose; 50 line limit for Poetry] (October 19th)
- None this week! ♥
- The September, October, and No Deadline contest journals from DALiteratureContests have been updated!
- ezradeacon has compiled a nice spooky, Halloween Contest List!
- Writers-and-Editors has their own list of Literature contests.
Back to Top
Regular Lit Articles
- Fantastic Feature Tuesday #53
- Friday Night Features CXVIX
- Let's Talk Writing: Issue 20
- The Saturday Spotlight for October 5th, 2013
- Saturday Feature #12
- (9) handpicked: stars
- PoetryToTheMasses Weekly Feature 133
- DLD to DD for October 8th, 2013
- A Call to Conversation (28)--~ithaswhatitisnt
- The Indie Pen Dance - Issue 4 - Robert Loyd Watson
- The Ladies of Lit: Volume XXXV
- Literary Compass - Vol. 11
- dAuthors Volume VI : The Chronicles of Loreithia
- 30 Writers You Should Discover: Volume XVI
- Lit. Daily Pick Volume 9: September 2013
- theWrittenRevolution's Lit News Journal
- LadyLincoln's Journal
- SadisticIceCream's Publishing Resources List
- ApocaLit Fridays: Issue #12
- Happenings in the Literature Community
- LITany of Resources - Updated 12 October 2013
- lovetodeviate's Resource Central [Now moved to apocathary’s journal]
- julietcaesar's List of Useful Writing Blogs
- WorldWar-Tori's Literature Resources
- #Critique-It's Resources: Writing
- #FantasyLiterature's Helpful Links
- Tips for the Messy Writer
- Writing Tips, Finding A Muse
Recently Added/Updated Resources
- Some helpful outside dA articles from raspil: Basic Plot Structure - The Five Plotting Moments That Matter and 3 Writing Rules that Can Derail Your Story
- A Guide to Writing Combat-Related Mental Illness
Looking for the rest of the resources? Go to the Community portal, below!
Back to Top
Looking to help out the Lit Community?
- Administrator Positions are Open at Prosepoetry-Elegance.
- theWrittenRevolution wants YOU to apply for an admin position.
- PoeticalCondition is hiring a Prompt Blogger.
- A call out for some new admins has been put out by Letters-To-Myself.
- Project Managed and Contest Manager are the open positions at SixWordStories.
- Critics, "At the moment poetry specifically, but prose is always welcome as that folder fills fast. If you can do both you're awesome.Requirements: At least one critique per month. May submit own work for critique by other critics. - GrammarNaziCritiques
- We-Poets, is looking for more admins
- Want to help out at Poetry-Magnet? They're looking for contributors.
- Moderators are needed at Literature-Series.
- SPOTLIGHTWRITERS is looking for some contributors to help approve submissions
- Writers--club is Seeking Critics
- 2 Poetry, 2 Prose and 1 General Administrator are the open positions at DailyLitDeviations.
- Some admins are wanted to help out at Adopt-A-Writer.
- Poetry and Prose Critics are needed at SuperWritersHelp.
- Glory-Be-Project would like some new contributors.
- ink-slingers is looking for admins.
- Contributors are wanted at Soul-Poets
- Moderators are needed in the group, FantasyAuthorsGuild
- 2 Affiliates/PR Admins, 2 Pay It Forward Admins, and 4 Critics are open at lacoterie.
- Love-4-Dark-Poetry is looking for someone to "assume the group and give all involved" attention.
- Contibutor and Co-Founder positions are open at Sacred-Literature.
- Authors-Club would like to hire some admins.
- Story Scouts and general helpers are LiteraryCompass's current open positions.
- FantasyLiterature would like another admin to help with upcoming projects.
- RomanceforEveryone would like Bi-Weekly Blog Feature Manager, Bi-Weekly Blog Feature Helpers, Resources Director, Critique Approvers, and some General Administrators.
- FreeVersePoetry is hiring two critics.
- 1 Community Liaison and 2 Critics are needed over at LITplease.
Back to Top
Literature Community Relations
Beccalicious - Beccalicious' DD Suggestion Guidelines
neurotype - neurotype's DD Suggestion Guidelines
GrimFace242 - GrimFace242's DD Suggestion Guidelines
DorianHarper - star-blazer's DD Suggestion Guidelines
SingingFlames - SingingFlames's DD Suggestion Guidelines [ Fan Fiction ONLY.]
Go on and send your literature DD suggestions to them!
#CRLiterature - The Community Relations Literature Chatroom
Literature CR Update - October 2013
Literature DD Roundup - September 2013
Literature Forum Rules
Monthly Literature Critique Thread: October
FAQ #61: What is a Daily Deviation?
FAQ #18: Who selects the Daily Deviation and how is it chosen?
FAQ #873: What do I do when I disapprove of a Daily Deviation feature?
Back to Top
Want your group to be spotlighted; your Literature project? See something you don't like? That you like? Want changed or removed? Have a suggestion for the next issue? Then please send me a note! The Literature Community is huge, so I'm always going to miss something or make a mistake, don't be afraid to let me know. ♥
Hugs, love and thanks to:
, and my favoritest LITplease Community Liaisons.
for letting me run LITplease’s Community Portal.
who let me know about her contest!
Back to Top