Literature Links | Project Spotlight | Workshops, Prompts and Challenges
Literature Contests | Resources | Open Admin Positions
Literature Community Relations | Contacting Me
- Lit Stuff Galore!
- Poetry enthusiasts and experts wanted!
- Reprobates Debate: Prosetry
- Meet the Group: LiteratureAnonymous
- Forum Discussion: Memorising and Reciting Poetry
- Nichrysalis encourages you to Give the official Haiku Writing Month group some love!
- Unappreciated Works Feature # 1
- "Are you participating in NaHaiWriMo this month?" TwilightPoetess wants to know.
- Odyssey Propulsion 7
- LadyLincoln is planning on an February Contest and would like some prize donations and judges.
- "How much of your writing (or art in general) is dedicated to or inspired by people in your life?" intricately-ordinary inquires.
- How to Add Your Unpaid Writing or Art to a Resume
- Sacred-Literature's Writer of the Month
- Happy 200th Birthday Pride and Prejudice
- SadisticIceCream asks "Have you ever tried freelance editing/copyediting/proofreading/etc.?"
- Tor UK now accepting unagented submissions
- Tuesday Night Features
- "I currently have ____ submissions out to literary publications." vespera wants to know.
- #SixWordStories Feature: January 14th - 28th
- Forum Discussion: How far we've come!
- RiseandBe asks "Do you have twitter/ know about twitter poems?"
- All About Asymptote
- WritersInk's Weekly Round-up
- 2013 And a Time Machine Contest Winners
- 'Alternate Universe' Brainstorming Journal
- From Nichrysalis: I won't be on deviantART for 2 weeks due to internet problems, until then, let me know which you feel is more important in a featured DD.
- Glory Be! Day 44
- What would you like: tell us all! is OurProse's latest journal.
- JustKeepWriting gives a hello to all.
- A bit of a welcome from the group, NaHaiWriMo
- ITU Feature: FeedbackFrenzy
- TheCritiquables's poll: "The first "unappreciated works" is up]! How many do you think you will be able to comment on (note, commenting does require to be constructive but not very lengthy)?"
- WritersOfTheWorld updates and such.
- Group Story Update, Writers Knitting Circle are Teenage-Writers' newest journals. They also post a 'little update'.
- lacoterie posts an update on the groups current activities.
- The group, writingmadefun, has a chatroom and addresses some other updates.
- George-Orwell-DA has cancelled their Prompt/Contest
- Winners for Write2liveCancerFree's latest contest and posts some updates as well.
- Writers--club posts their Member of the Month ~ January 2013
- My-Soul-Bleeds-Ink announces the winner of their January Form Challenge
- Some clarification from We-Poets
- Sacred-Literature has started a Book Review Program and posts a journal on Indie Authors.
- Unseen-Writers reminds members the group has has a facebook page.
- Love-Literature's Interview With a Member
- Traditional vs Indie Digital Publishing
- Self-Publishing posts an Update and some things about Duotrope & 2013 Poet's Market.
- Writers-Guild-DA promotes off-site Young Adult Book Giveaways.
- "Have you been to a convention of any kind?" asks the group, EliteLiterature. They also post their Lit of the Week 58! ~EternalSunday, ~momo-madness and ~LeakingInk
- A bit of a welcome back and news from Literature-and-Stuff, including a call for contest ideas.
- Some news, features and welcomes, as well as another update from Short-Stories
- WritersInk gives a debrief on their January Write Off.
- #15-Minutes-of-Fame will be closed for February
- theWrittenRevolution has a new poll: "Our current word limit for submissions is 1500 words. Do you think we should..."
Literature Links [in other languages!]
- LetraHispana's contest is now closed. [Spanish]
- NotreForteresseBrule posts an interview: Interview XI: Wordeea [French]
- The winners of ArteScritta's latest contest have been announced. [Italian]
- LaRevolucionEscrita's monthly theme is "Paper.
Back to Top
This Week's Project Spotlight
Publishing Resources ListMake sure you the news article!
So you've written something freaking awesome. You've edited a million times (and if you haven't, turn around and go do that. Right now). You think you maybe want to take the leap and try publishing something. But you have no idea where to start.
Well, this is a good place to be.
This the journal where I'll be keeping a running list of all the publishing resources I find, both on and off dA. Most of it will probably be related to literary journals, since that's the stage where I'm at in my literary career, but I'll add things about book publishing as I find them.
If you ever find a great resource, or if you'd like to request something specific, please leave me a note in the comments.
Also this journal is probably going to be super-messy and slightly badly-categorized for the first few weeks, so if anything looks out of place and/or you can think of a better way for me to organize this, please
SadisticIceCream the superawesomelovely who posts and upkeeps her Publishing Resources List gladly let me
First off, please tell us a bit about your Publishing Resources Journal
My Publishing Resources Journal is pretty much what it sounds like -- it's an ever-growing list of links to resources on getting yourself published. It's broken down by sections, which cover preparing your work for publication, avoiding scams, submitting to literary magazines and journals, finding an agent, submitting to traditional publishers, and self-publishing. Other fun things include publicity ideas and strategies, how to handle rejection, publishing venues, blogs, and a catch-all miscellaneous category linking to features of published deviants, phone apps, and more general writing resources. I update it pretty frequently because I'm always finding new resources -- I'm addicted to publishing industry websites and blogs, so I scarf something up at least every other week.
What made you decide to start up the journal resource?
I noticed that there were loads of tutorials and resources on writing itself, and some of those were located in a centralized location, like Resource Central, but there were fewer dA-based lists on publishing resources, and very few tutorials on getting published. I know that publication is something a lot of writers aim for, but it's never really something that anyone explains to you -- I would know, I gave myself the crash course in lit mag publishing. Since I've also dipped my toes into a lot of areas of publishing -- books, literary magazines, you name it -- I thought it might be nice to share some of the basics with other deviants, mostly through the resources that helped me. And then of course it blew up into the longest list on the planet.
Do you have a favorite resource(or resources) on that list? What makes them/it so great?
Not to just toot my own horn, but I think my guides on lit mag publishing and book publishing might be good places for beginners to start, because I tried to make them as accessible as possible, since, as I said, nobody ever really explains to you how publishing works. Because I've got an offensive sense of humor, I also really love "Why Your Self-Published Book Sucks a Bag of Dicks", because it's hysterical.
Have you published any of your own work? [Pimp yourself out! <3]
So much for not tooting my own horn. I've been published in a couple of lit mags: "Arms" is a bizarro flash fic in Defenestration; "Open at the Close" is a prose poem in Gone Lawn; "The Thinnest Threads" is a short story in The Battered Suitcase; "Collide" is a short story in themissingslate; and Two Pink Lines is a short story in Ellipsis...Literature and Art. The last one isn't available to view for free, but the rest of them are.
Anything else of note you wish to share?
Getting published is all fun and good, but it's not for everyone. You might not be ready, or you might not even want to -- and there's nothing wrong with that. Besides, publishing should not be the end goal of writing -- you should write for you, because you want to, because you have something in you that needs to work itself out in printed words. And those things don't need to be shared with anyone unless you want them to be.
Looking for more groups?
- leoraigarath's Literature Groups List
- Realm-of-Fantasy's list of literature groups[Fantasy, Sci-fi and General]
- My journal has a small list that I've compiled.
- League of Lit Groups: Vol. 4
If you're still not finding a group you like check out the list of all literature groups on dA: Click here!
Back to Top
Inspiration (Workshops, Prompts and Challenges)
- Prompt 38 from Heart-of-Poetry [January 31st]
- Live-Love-Write's Weekly Writing Prompt is 'B-Flat Minor'. [February 3rd]
- TheWritersMeow has a new weekly prompt,"Justice". [February 8th]
- "Fairy Tales" is Poem-forthe-poemless' seventh weekly prompt.
- Weekly Spontaneity: 43 from SixWordStories
- Theme Of The Week #6 from KnightsOfRomance.
- Unseen-Writers' Theme of the Week: Angelic
- Writers-Extrodinaire has a new prompt for this week.
- theWrittenRevolution's Prompt: January 21, 2013 [February 3rd]
- The Bi-Monthly prompt for PoeticalCondition is "The Poetical Condition" [February 11th]
- Week three prompts from paper-forests
- Letters-To-Myself's January Prompt: Letters to A New You. [February 1st]
- SixWordStories' Word and Theme Prompts [February 11th]
- Prose and Poetry Monthly Prompts from lacoterie. [February 28th]
- ScreamPrompt #32, February 2013 [February 28th]
- Sacred-Literature's Monthly Prompt
- Prompt #7: Deuce of Snow from Literary-Limits
- January's Theme of the Month from APictureToA1000Words
- Sharing Presents During The New Year hosted by Fiction-Writers [February 10th]
- Prompts from We-Poets
- Love-Literature's weekly and monthly prompts.
Ongoing Challenges [No Deadline]:
- Shelf-of-Friends' Collaboration Project
- The group, LiteratureJunkies has issued a Smell Story Challenge
- Writing prompts from dA-Literature
- A 50 Theme Challenge from Authors-Academy
- 100 Word Challenge hosted by JustKeepWriting
- A List of Prompts from FeatheredWords.
- full-moon-poetry's 18 themes.
- LITplease's 100 Themes Challenge
- Write 50 Reason's Why You Love Yourself Challenge
- Poetic Journey Project hosted by Masters-of-Poetry.
- Writers-Universal's Publicity Project
Back to Top
Lit Contests Galore!
These include contests that are purely Literature based and those that have other categories as well, but still accept Literature.
- Alliterati's Anti-V day Competition [Prose 1,500 words maximum; poetry 40 line maximum; scripts 10 minute maximum; please see link for details] (February 14th)
- #My-Soul-Bleeds-Ink's Valentines Contest [Poetry only] (February 21st)
- #Ordinary-Writing's Valentines Contest [Prose only; 3,500 word maximum] (February 21st)
- February Contest: Typographic Haiku [Visual poetry only; please see link for details] (February 28th)
- The Love Letter To Yourself Contest [Poems only; 50 line maximum; please see link for details] (March 1st)
Contests Ending This Week:
- There is also a group dedicated to listing Literature contests around dA, DALiteratureContests, if you're still looking for more contests!
- Writers-and-Editors has their own list of Literature contests.
- #Love-Literature Loves Contests
Back to Top
Regular Lit Articles
- The Ladies of Lit: Volume XXVII
- A Symbol View with ^NicSwaner
- Literary Compass - Vol. 4
- Be A Critic Volume 7
- Writing Without Publishing: Exillior speaks
- Fantastic Feature Tuesday #29
- Friday Night Features LXXXIV
- Fabulous Friday Feature 17: Gardens
- Saturday Morning Features - Fewer than Ten Lines
- The Saturday Spotlight for February 2nd, 2013
- PoetryToTheMasses Weekly Feature 100
- Sundae Treat- Sammur-amat's Sunday Feature
- 30 Writers You Should Discover: Volume XIII
- The Favorites Project #183, #184, #185
- Let's Talk Writing: Issue 14
- DLD to DD January 6, 2013
- The Hidden Artist: Writer Feature 2
- Communal Karma #1
- Group Therapy : Literature
- theWrittenRevolution's Lit News Journal
- LadyLincoln's Journal
- lovetodeviate's Resource Central [Now moved to apocathary’s journal]
- julietcaesar's List of Useful Writing Blogs
- WorldWar-Tori's Literature Resources
- #Critique-It's Resources: Writing
- #FantasyLiterature's Helpful Links
- Tips for the Messy Writer
Writing Resources [General]
- Writing Resources for Everyone
- Jump Start Your Story
- Guides and Lessons for Effective Writing
- LaMonaca's Writing Guides
- LitResources' folder for Literature Tutorials
- How to Write Fan Fiction - P1
- How to Write Euphonically
- OokamiKasumi's Writing Tips and Tricks
- English 101 Index: A Grammar Series
- The Basics of Comma Usage
- ElaineRose's Writing Lessons
- Ten Tips for Writing
- 10 Tips for Novel Writers
- Back-To-Basics Screenwriting With Snappy
- Organizing Your Fantasy/Sci-Fi Novel
- Style vs. Voice - A Guide
- Grammar and Your Story
- Three Act Structure
- The Hard Work of Poetry
- Tips For Editing Poetry
- Haiku Theory Part 1
- Haiku and Eastern Poetry
- Poetic Forms
- Poetry Self-Edit Quick Start Guide and Checklist
- "Poeticks: On Imagery" 1 of 3, "Poeticks: On Imagery" 2 of 3, and "Poeticks: On Imagery" 2 of 3
Critiquing and Miscellaneous Resources
- Search Engines for Serious Writers
- The NonVerbal Thesaurus
- How to Write Without Editing
- 9 Editing Tips You (Possibly) Haven't Heard Before
- Writing Useful Critiques
- Prose Critique Basics
- Beta Reading Tutorial
- Murdering Mary Sue
- Characterization and Names
- Describing your Characters
- Rehab for Roleplayers
- SadisticIceCream's Publishing Resources List
- Writing Opportunities (Publishing)
- leoraigarath's Resources on the Side
- Resources for Aspiring Authors
- On-Writing - Getting Published
- Getting Published the Hard Way
- Tips on Self Publishing
- Writing Exercise-Book Proposal
- How to Get a Literary Agent
- What Makes A Good Editor?
- apocathary has created a customised calendar for submissions to Australian journals and competitions. [It can still be useful for others as some listed accept international submissions too.]
- Divertir Publishing is an independent publisher and they also publish short story collections. Check out their dA: DivertirPublishing
- An Idiot's Guide to Publishing
- An Idiot's Guide to Book Publishing
- Harmless [Magazine]
- Steampunk Tales
- G.W. Review
- The Missing Slate
- Second Look
- Verandah Literary Journal
- Machine of Death
- Cram Magazine
- dotdotdash Magazine
- Alliterati Magazine
- Linear Literary Journal
- Grawlix Poetry E-Zine
- Chautauqua Literary Journal
- Pocket Thoughts
- Quantum Fairy Tales
- Asymptote Journal
Back to Top
Looking to help out the Lit Community?
- Sacred-Literature is searching for contributors.
- JustKeepWriting is looking to find someone to post their Weekly Selections feature.
- On-going admin positions are curretnly avaliable at NaHaiWriMo
- Some admins are wanted to help with the group, WritersOfTheWorld
- FictionWriters101 needs a co-founder.
- A new founder is wanted to take over the group, Painted-From-Words.
- Tutorial and motivational article writes are wanted at writeaway.
- Poetry, Prose, General, and Organisational Admins are all needed at the group Written-Imagination
- 1 Blogger and 2 Gallery Moderator positions are open at InspireTheUninspired
- One co-founder is wanted to help keep the group running smoothly at Authors-Academy
- Two Contributors are wanted at WordsOfPower.
- A founder is needed at the group, BleedingHeartsPoetry.
- PowerfulWriting would like a few more contributors.
- The group, Writing-My-Soul, would like to add one contributor to help with submissions.
- devLIT is looking for some extra help around the group.
- TheseWordsaremyheart is looking for a founder to take over the group.
- Contributors are needed at TheScribblists.
- General Administrators are wanted at Poetry-is-AWESOME.
- The group, Your-Soul-In-Writing is looking for someone to take over the group.
- SuperWritersHelp is in need of prose and poetry critics.
- Two Match Makers are Beta-Readers' current open positions.
- Calling-All-Poetry would like 2 general admins.
- Kakikotoba would like a few contributors to help out with the group.
- 1 Community Liaison and 2 Critics are needed over at LITplease.
- The group, FlashFictionLives is looking for some active members to help run the group.
- LOVE-Original-LIT is in need of Prose and Poetry admins as well as a judge for group hosted contests.
- Voters and weekly and monthly bloggers are wanted at Letters-To-Myself
- One admin position is available at TeenagedLiterature.
- RomanceforEveryone would like Bi-Weekly Blog Feature Manager, Bi-Weekly Blog Feature Helpers, Resources Director, Critique Approvers, and some General Administrators.
- 2 assistants, prize commissioners, 1 News crew, and critics are APictureToA1000Words’s current admin vacancies.
- Critics/Commenters are wanted in the group, Live-Love-Write.
- A co-founder and general admins are needed to help run lit-lash.
- A Sci-Fi Short Story Folder Manager is needed at FantasyAuthorsGuild.
- WritingForEveryone still needs a few contributors.
- YouAsTheNarrator is looking to fill the following positions: 2 Gallery Moderators, 2 Character Bio Moderators, 4 Chatroom Moderators, 4 Promotion Moderators, 2 Gallery Contributors, and Comment Contributors.
- Adopt-A-Writer is looking mentors and mentees.
- EditorialSquad is in need of various staff.
- New admins are wanted at Unconventional-Story.
- 2 Affiliates/PR Admins, 2 Pay It Forward Admins, and 4 Critics are open at lacoterie.
- Members to host workshops and Contributors are needed at Writers-Workshop
- 8 Critiquers, 3 Lit-Pickers, and 1 Affiliate Admin are needed at LitResources.
- Open Positions over at SixWordStories, they need: Project Managers and Contest Managers.
Back to Top
Literature Community Relations
thorns - thorn's DD Suggestion Guidelines
Beccalicious - Beccalicious' DD Suggestion Guidelines
neurotype - neurotype's DD Suggestion Guidelines
Nichrysalis - NicSwaner's DD Suggestion Guidelines
JZLobo - JZLobo's DD Suggestion Guidelines [Only Fan Fiction.]
Go on and send your literature DD suggestions to them!
#CRLiterature Community Relations Literature Chatroom
Literature CR Update - December 2012 / January 2013
January's Literature Daily Deviations
Posting Guidelines - Literature Forum
Monthly Literature Critique Thread: February
FAQ #61: What is a Daily Deviation?
FAQ #18: Who selects the Daily Deviation and how is it chosen?
FAQ #873: What do I do when I disapprove of a Daily Deviation feature?
Back to Top
Want your group to be spotlighted; your Literature project? See something you don't like? That you like? Want changed or removed? Have a suggestion for the next issue? Then please send me a note! The Literature Community is huge, so I'm always going to miss something or make a mistake, don't be afraid to let me know. ♥
Hugs, love and thanks to:
, and the newest addition :iconSonAmyFan36:, for being my favoritest LITplease Community Liaisons.
for letting me run LITplease’s Community Portal.
for sending me a note to include her article again.
Back to Top